As good looking as they are ceramic dinnerware, tiles, sinks, etc. have one drawback; they can hardly stand up to drops, gets knocked down, and fall-overs.
If you have been doing ceramic products for a while, these unfortunate incidents of breaking ceramic items should not sound alien to you.
The worst part is that some of these items may be precious antiques, collectibles, souvenirs, or quite costly that you cannot stand losing them. The best part is that innovation brings us the solution in glues for ceramic.
You can now permanently put together the broken ceramic pieces and restore your valued ceramic to an all-new look.
Nevertheless, getting glue for ceramic should not just be all about necessity, but quality.
The market is vast, giving room for different quality products, and choosing the perfect option can be a daunting task.
The brands we are going to look at are the best glue for ceramic as far as firm adherence and neat, tidy finishes go.
- Best Glue for Ceramic: A Quick Comparison
- 1. Editor’s Choice: Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy Waterproof Glue With Super Strength
- 2. Gorilla Clear Glue: High Resistance and Incredible Strength
- 3. ATG FIX-IT The Liquid Weld Industrial Adhesive: Value for Money
- 4. The Last Glue: You’re Seconds Away From an Unbreakable Bond!
- 5. J-B Weld 50176 KwikWeld Reinforced Epoxy Syringe – Food Safe Glue For Ceramic
- Here’s What to Consider When Buying the Best Ceramic Glue
- Fixing Broken Ceramic Is Easy! Here’s How
- Frequently Asked Questions
Best Glue for Ceramic: A Quick Comparison
In this section of the blog post, we will go through and quickly compare our top five picks for the best glue for ceramic. Take a look.
5 Minute Epoxy
glass, plastic ,
- The Liquid Weld
|The Last Glue||wood, metal,|
leather, toys, shoes
|Yes/No||60 sec||Check on Amazon|
Let’s review each of these in detail, shall we?
1. Editor’s Choice: Devcon 5 Minute Epoxy Waterproof Glue With Super StrengthDevcon has continually served the DIY fraternity and professionals with well-made gear, and this epoxy glue is no different. The strength and versatility of the Devcon 8.5Oz Epoxy glue make it one of the most efficient ways to put ceramic things together.
This glue boasts high strength bonding that ensures permanent bonds.
It only takes 5 seconds to dry!
Once you have applied it, the glue cures and dries in no time; you will be good to go in 5 minutes, saving you time to care for other vital tasks.
The 5 minutes will allow you to easily and neatly position the parts.
The glue dries neat and transparent, making it hard to notice when you have repaired ceramic equipment.
Waterproof and Chemical resistant
The premium bottle packaging preserves the glue so you can store the remaining amount and use it for future projects.
You can also use the glue for metals, glass, wood, concrete, and more!
Inside the package, you will find 4.5Oz Epoxy Glue and 4.5 oz Epoxy hardener.
Food Safe Glue
In the US and many other countries, the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA) uses Title 21 Code of Federal Regulations; CFR 175 subsection 105 is Adhesives and subsection 300 is Resinous and polymeric coatings. Each section contains a list of raw materials that are acceptable for use in food contact applications of adhesive. According to the Permabond: “If you are manufacturing an item that requires a food safe epoxy adhesive, (again that means one that is made with ingredients listed in the FDA CFR 21 175.105 and/or 177.300), epoxy is your only option.”
Let’s take a look at the pros and cons!
2. Gorilla Clear Glue: High Resistance and Incredible StrengthIt would have been unfair had we wound up this post without mentioning a product from Gorilla. The Gorilla Clear glue is well worth a second look.
The makers, however, discourage use on polyethylene and polypropylene plastic.
One of the best things about this glue is that it has a crystal clear color, which makes it easier for you to use it on brightly colored items!
To save you from messes in case of spills, the company made it easy to clean and wipe away.
Easy to Use
It may not be the best pick the market has to offer, but for what it costs, it is well worth the bargain.
Let’s weigh the pros against the cons, shall we?
On to the next one.
3. ATG FIX-IT The Liquid Weld Industrial Adhesive: Value for MoneyWe must reckon that the FIX-IT – The Liquid Weld – Industrial Adhesive from ATG is the glue that offers the best value for money of the lot.
Can Withstand Extreme Temperatures
The glue does not work only on ceramic items; you can still use it to stick together rubber, metal, wood, plastics, and other material. If you wish to break the bond and bring the attached parts apart, the manufacturer recommends using alcohol or acetone.
You can also file, sand, drill, polish, or paint the glue after hardening.
Not just that, there is a metal scraper, plastic spatula, pin needle, and extension attachment. You will also find an instruction manual to guide you through the application process.
Here’s a quick peek at the pros and cons.
Now, let’s take a look at the next one.
4. The Last Glue: You’re Seconds Away From an Unbreakable Bond!Throwing away your broken piece of valued ceramic cutlery or utensil is undoubtedly the easiest thing to do. However, throwing will never be an option when you have The Last Glue at your disposal.
This super strong acrylic base adhesive is praised for unbreakable bonds.
Dries Fast and Is Resistant to High Temperatures
Easy to Use
It is worth mentioning that the glue is FDA approved and safe.
So whether you want to use it for utensils and cutlery, or in the dental industry, worry not about toxins and chemicals.
Here’s a quick peek at the pros and cons.
5. J-B Weld 50176 KwikWeld Reinforced Epoxy Syringe – Food Safe Glue For CeramicWe swear by not just for the beautiful looks but also the comfort of using them.
However, you can never be too careful, especially if you have kids and breakages will be almost inevitable. For this reason, you will require a strong adhesive such as the 50176 KwikWeld Reinforced Epoxy Syringe from J-B Weld.
Quick and Easy Gluing Ceramics
The adhesive then dries to a dark grey residue. It will then cure after about 4 – 6 hours.
Absolutely Food Safe!
The good news is that you can still shape, file, tap, drill, and sand it even after you are done curing.
According to the manufacturer website, this glue is resistant to water and gasoline, microwave safe. Also, J-B Weld is non-toxic (when fully cured). So we can say that J-B Weld is food safe glue, and you can use it to repair ceramic plate, mug or any crockery.
If you are after the very neatest of gluing, this is your best bet.
Now, it’s time to take a look at the pros and cons:
Here’s What to Consider When Buying the Best Ceramic Glue
In this section of the blog post, we wanted to go through some of the most important things that you need to consider when buying a ceramic glue.
Let’s get started.
Strength of the Glue
The tensile strength of an adhesive is measured in pound per square inch (PSI).
Most glues have a PSI of 500 – 2000 PSI.
However, if it is for industrial use, look for an adhesive with a tensile strength of over 1300 PSI.
Type of Glue
There are two main types of adhesives for ceramic;
Epoxies with two different compounds, the resin, and the hardener or catalyst.
Confirm with the manufacturer or product description for the mix ratio.
While one is dedicated to filling in chips and shallow cracks, the other bonds the broken pieces of ceramic.
● Super Glue
Most super glues are products of cyanoacrylate derived from cyanide.
We advise you always to store super glue in a refrigerator to keep it useable and prevent it from drying.
Super glues have more resistance to pulling.
Before settling on a particular brand, make sure you check to see if it can withstand the goal, you intend to use it for.
The color of the adhesive also determines where you can apply it.
If you plan to repair brightly colored utensils, tiles other equipment, consider going for clear glue so that the repair is not easily noticeable. You can decide to go for dark colored paste if what you will be repairing is dark-colored as well.
We also recommend that you consider the design of the container and the shape of the nozzle.
Type of Material
The kind of ceramic you intend to repair dictates the type of glue you should take home.
If you want to repair dishes, pottery, or decorations, experts recommend epoxies or cyanoacrylate-based adhesives.
Ease of Use
The approximate drying time of an adhesive is also worth checking out.
Some products come with additional application accessories like scrapers, spatula, attachments accessories, and more making it easier and more convenient to apply the adhesives.
Fixing Broken Ceramic Is Easy! Here’s How
Whether it is a clean break into two, an ordinary hairline crack, or a ceramic shattered into several pieces, fixing requires utmost attention.
1. Choose the right adhesive for the job: Read the recommended applications from the manufacturer and ensure it is well suited for your needs.2. Collect all the broken pieces and try to reconstruct them into a complete piece.3. Ceramic materials boast high surface energy and wet easily. Even so, you should clean and degrease the surface and use emery paper or sandblasting to do mechanical abrasion of the surface.4. Mix the epoxy or super glue if it requires mixing. After mixing you have 3 minutes at most after which the adhesive shall have dried.5. Using self-gripping tweezers, hold each broken piece, and apply the epoxy or super glue on the edges using a stick.6. Gently press the edges into the corresponding edges. Hold the pieces together until they are firm and stable before releasing. Depending on the manufacturer’s instruction, allow the glue to dry completely before adding another piece.
Frequently Asked Questions
Do you still have some questions?
In this section of the blog post, we will go through some of the questions we’re asked all the time about ceramic glue.
So, take a look.
Q: Which is the best adhesive for repairing ceramic tiles?
A: Non-porcelain ceramic tiles are porous in composition.
For this reason, you will need epoxy glue to repair chips and breaks. Some adhesives are designed specifically for ceramic tile repair. They are liquid polymers that are epoxy-resin-based that work best for tiles.
Q: How do epoxies work?
A: Epoxy adhesives are the most used structural adhesive.
When the reaction between the resin and the hardener or catalyst occurs, it initiates curing. Curing is a process where a response between molecular chains occurs in chemically active sites.
Q: What is the difference between Thermal Care and UV CARE?
A: Thermal cure adhesives can be cured at room temperature and heat. They cure faster but require heat that can be detrimental to the substrate. UV cure adhesives usually are one part and demand that you expose them to UV light before they can cure.
Q: Why are Epoxies the most preferred adhesives?
A: Epoxies are preferred for ceramic repairs for all the right reasons.
- Epoxy glue adheres to a varied range of materials from both porous and non-porous ceramic, metal, wood, china, leather, and more.
- These adhesives are resistant to chemicals, heat, and water, making them dishwasher safe and defiant to most destructive agents.
- The bonds formed boast unshakable adhesion and resistant to pressure from every direction.
- The glue has excellent insulation, mechanical, electrical properties making it perfect for industrial use.
- Epoxies are also flame retardant, fast curing, and cryogenically serviceable.
Q: What is the difference between 5-minute and 3-minute adhesive?
A: Fast set adhesives have an average time they take to cure. While 5-minute adhesives take 5 minutes to cure, 3-minute adhesive will take approximately 3 minutes and so forth.
You can speed up the curing process by heating the surfaces before applying the glue.
Q: Why do people need this, who should buy glue for a ceramic?
A: If you are a DIY enthusiast, you will probably agree with me that the value of ceramic adhesive in DIY home improvements is underrated.
Whether it is repairing broken kitchenware and cutlery, sinks and countertops, or professional plumbing, flooring, and manufacture, the application of adhesives for ceramic are endless.
If you have kids, having an adhesive is a wise idea considering how tough and rough kids can be on fragile dinnerware and equipment.
Ceramic adhesives are excellent at bonding, sealing, encapsulation, coating and more and can be used in DIY and home improvement, electronics, aeronautics, and automotive industries, and medical industry.
Q: Why is it important to choose the right one?
A: When ceramic utensils and kitchenware breaks, it is crucial to determine if the brake line is clean.
Some small unnoticeable chips may have fallen off. If so, choosing an adhesive such as the epoxy that can fill and cover for the missing elements is an excellent idea.
On the other hand, superglue is easy to use and fast to dry and forms strong bonds. It soaks into the porous construction of the ceramic but can only stand up to a limited amount of stress.
Ensure what you settle for can withstand all the conditions that the item you want to repair takes on.
The requirements include extreme temperatures, high pressure, frequent contact with water and moisture, and others.
Ceramic items are favorites to many for the simple reason that they have high strength, impressive thermal stability, and workable electrical conductivity.
Their reliability, high performance, resistance, and longevity has seen ceramic components is widely used in microelectronic packaging, fiber optics, vibration sensors, ferroelectric components, microwave transducers, fuel cells, naval vehicles, and other sensors.
The best part is that you can alter the conditions to enhance the strength of the bonds by changing the heat level, humidity, and stress.
We would have kept informing you, but we would instead let you go back to repairing you valuable ceramics.
That said, it is time to stop complaining about breaking ceramic items every time.
The listed are easily some of the best glue for glue available on the market, so keep an open mind, make sure you shop for what is right for you, and you will do just fine!
So do not hesitate any longer, click to order the ceramic glue that suits you and save yourself tons in repairs.